Risingholme Homestead post-fire mould removal

We spent three months removing toxic mould from this Category 2 historic building.  Significant earthquake repairs were due to start just before a large fire occurred, which was a result of arson.

Following the fire, delays to the project resulted in extensive mould growth on all surfaces, throughout the building and in the sub-floor. The mould was confirmed to be toxigenic, including Stachybotrys (toxic, black mould).

We were engaged to safely contain all areas and systematically remove the mould.  There were significant challenges with safely working in an earthquake damaged and fire damaged building.

Asbestos also present, which we also removed.

Due to the hertitage status, great care had to be taken with the building materials.  The work involved painstakingly cleaning, labelling and cataloguing the materials being removed, so they could be stored and reinstated during subsequent repair works.

Required collaboration and excellent communication with numerous stakeholders, including the principal, project manager, building contractor and heritage experts. The beautifully restored building was re-opened in 2019, free of toxic mould and asbestos.

  • We were preparing to rebuild the historic Risingholme Homestead in Opawa when an arson attack in 2016 revealed extensive black mould throughout the roof and ceiling cavity. We had Mark and MBC come in and totally remove all of that. It was a massive 3-month undertaking and they did it well. They also helped with asbestos testing and removal from the Risingholme Hall.

    Richard Bullet, project manager
    Joseph & Associates

Services Involved

You can trust us for a professional service that will meet all your compliance needs. But don’t take our word for it, see what our clients have to say about us.